Quantcast

Apr 21, 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster


The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book literally kept me up all night~something which hasn't happened to me in a while. I thought I'd lost my 'reading mojo,' as someone so cleverly put it, but this book brought it back with a vengeance. I'd heard about it through a fellow book blogger, and so much was the gushing in the review, I had to give it a try. If was I was tired, had a headache, and was gulping down coffee as if my life depended on it the last couple of days, it was because of this book. It was so worth it.

Beautiful Disaster revolves around the unlikely, crazy, ecstatic, depressing, and sometimes psychotic relationship between Travis Maddox and Abby Abernathy. Travis has never had a problem getting girls, and he's never particularly wanted or needed them (except for a quick romp on his famous couch) until he met one girl who wouldn't give into his reputable charms. (That's how it always happens with guys like that right? They love a girl who won't put up with their crap and sees them for what they are.) However, Abby's not the innocent girl we expect and has a past that she's trying bury, a past that she's reminded of when she's with Travis, giving her contradicting feelings and causing her to constantly second guess their relationship.  

The intensity of the emotions in this book really put a strain on my nerves and patience, but as a glutton for punishment, I loved every minute of it. Travis and Abby are insane, individually and about each other, but no matter what happens, how big the fight, how impossible it seems, they always come to the conclusion that they belong together. The roller-coaster relationship of theirs is not lacking in love, but they still have a lot of growing to do and obstacles to overcome before they can come to the point where nothing can stop them. 

In some of the reviews I've read, I've heard there is too much violence, cursing, etc, etc... I thought that's what made this book real. People curse, they are essentially violent, they make huge mistakes, and are sometimes physical about releasing their anger. That's the reality of being human. We can't always control ourselves according to 'civilized' society. Travis's constantly flaring temper is huge part of what makes him who he is, what causes him to be the 'screw up' he believes himself to be, and it's up to Abby to love him anyway. That's what this book is about - loving someone for who they are, not trying to change or save them, but loving them without conditions. 

I wish I could say this book was an easy and light read - it's anything but that. It's an intense and extremely emotional ride from start to finish. One of the best and most realistic love stories I've ever read. 

Happy Reading Everyone :)

~ Keely ~

*Below are quotes I highlighted through my Kobo app. They are just few excerpts that made me laugh out loud or smile in that completely predictable girly way.* 


Kobo Highlights:

~America rolled down her window and spit out her gum. "You're so obvious. Why didn't you just roll in dog shit to make your outfit complete?"~

~"Hell yes, he's cute...in that preppy, missionary position kind of way."~

~"Jealous of what? The STD infested imbecile you're going to piss off in the morning?"~

~"It looks like Vegas threw up on a flock of vultures," America sneered.~

~"I know we're fucked up, all right? I'm impulsive, and hot-tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then you need me the next. I never get anything right and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I've loved anyone or anything, ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...all I need is you. You're all I think about. You're all I dream about. You're all I want."~

~"It's dangerous to need someone that much. You're trying to save him and he's hoping  you can. You two are a disaster." ... I smiled at the ceiling. "It doesn't matter what or why it is. When it's good, Kara...it's beautiful."~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!