Quantcast

May 31, 2012

Review: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris



With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.

Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.






Sookie Stackhouse #12. Yes, #12. I've come to have a love/hate relationship with the Southern Vampire novels. I can't not read the endless series, but at the same time I think they've gone on for far too long.

Deadlocked felt much like #11, Dead Reckoning. Sookie finds herself in trouble from every angle whether it be fighting for her life or struggling with heartbreak. Someone is always out to get her, and as a telepath constantly absorbed in the supernatural world, she can't help but discover everyone's dirty little secrets.

I liked the increasing complexity of her relationship with Eric and how she remains independent despite her love for him. She knows what's best for her, and most of the time, Sookie follows her instincts. I'm curious to see what transpires between them in the next and final novel. Of course, Sookie has a lineup to choose from when it comes to love interests, and if she does end up making a choice, I couldn't say who I think it will be.

Relationship status aside, Sookie has a whole other mess to deal with when it comes to her fae family, and I have to say, I didn't really see that coming. I really enjoyed how all things supernatural tied together in the end, bringing together the different types of supes in a whole new web of betrayal.

What I didn't like:

There are so many pages filled with the mundane aspects of Sookie's life with her wishing the entire time for a 'normal day.' With paragraphs filled with stopping by the library or post office, cooking sweet potato pie, getting dressed, watching tv, or eating this and that, I felt as if Sookie had a whole lot of normal going on. It seemed as if Charlaine came up with irrelevant 'fillers' just to add page numbers to her book because the whole mysterious chaos could be summed up in a few chapters. I know as a book reviewer I should be objective and only base my opinion on what the author wrote, not on what I wish he or she would write, but I couldn't help but hope for more drama in Sookie's love life or new characters or just something more.

Anyway, if you're an avid fan of Sookie Stackhouse, I know you know what I mean when I say I just can't stop reading them no matter how redundant they become. It's just one of those things...

If you haven't started this series, don't let the reviews of the last few novels turn you off of them. The first ones are AWESOME! and definitely worth reading :)

Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~



1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of the series and whilst I'd love to read the books I just don't think I could make it through 12 whole books of Sookie Stackhouse without getting bored! As you say this series seems pretty endless and I think I prefer things short and sweet :)

    Your 100th follower! (yay!)
    -Laura
    http://whats--hot.com

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!